Biotechnology sales professionals earn top dollar in medical sales. On average, these professionals take home a total of $165,028 each year. Although most medical sales reps make the bulk of their pay in commission, biotechnology professionals earn most of their pay in their base salary – $107,876 on average.
How do I become a medical rep?
Eligibility to become Medical Representative
- Subject Requirements: For basic knowledge of the field of medicine, candidates are required to have an educational background in Biology or life sciences.
- Educational Qualification:
- Experience: Candidates should have proven medical sales experience in the field.
How do I get a job in medical sales?
The first step to becoming a medical sales rep is to choose a specialization. Specializations include medical devices, medical equipment, pharmaceuticals, and biotechnology. Next, you’ll gain field experience and enroll in training. You’ll also network, grow your online presence, and connect with industry contacts.
How much do beginner medical sales reps make?
In fact, in our 2020 Medical Sales Salary Report, revealed medical sales reps with less than two years of experience earn $92,725 in average total compensation. While their commissions are nearly half of what reps with two-to-five years of experience earn, the starting average base salary is $63,518.
Do medical sales reps travel a lot?
She also notes that a recent study found medical sales reps spend an average of 20 percent of their time traveling overnight. Increased travel often results in additional income: The average total compensation for a representative who travels 50 percent of the time is $160,200.
How many hours do medical sales reps work?
However, medical device sales representatives have poor work-life balance with extensive travel to meet with clients. The majority works beyond 40 hours per week in a stressful, high-pressure environment where satisfying quotas is paramount.
How do you succeed in medical sales?
10 Career-Making Medical Sales Tips
- Get to The Hospital Before The Doctors.
- Don’t Take a Break at Lunchtime.
- Get to Know the Lay of The Land.
- Always Keep The Patient in Mind.
- Know Your Products Like The Back of Your Hand.
- Be Responsive.
- Follow Through.
- Prepare for The Negatives.
How can I get into medical sales with no experience?
How to Get a Job in Medical Sales Without Experience
- Develop a resume that highlights or bullets your sales accomplishments.
- Use keywords in your resume, such as medical products, medical devices and pharmaceutical.
- Network with those you know within your desired industry.
- Target your applications.
- Don’t give up.
What type of medical sales makes the most money?
At first glance, it appears the top earners are Sales Directors and VPs working in biotech. After all, according to the 2016 Medical Sales Salary Report, Sales Director / VP is the highest paid job title (average total $209,082), and biotech is the highest paying product category (average total $165,028).
Is medical device sales a good job?
The MedReps survey of 2019 reported that 76% of respondents were “very satisfied” with their jobs overall. This is despite only 22% of the respondents saying that they were “very satisfied” with their current salary.
What are the 5 main qualities a medical representative should have?
Role of Medical Representative: Skills Required
- Proficient in usage of computer software and tools, especially MS Office suite [Word, PowerPoint and Excel]
- Excellent negotiating skills.
- Awareness of recent developments.
- Flexible and adaptable to challenges.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Time management skills.
What degree is needed for medical sales?
Medical sales reps generally have a degree in science, nursing, healthcare management or sales & marketing, with experience in the healthcare industry. To get into degree courses, you usually need to gain your senior secondary school certificate or equivalent.
How much do or reps make?
The average salary for a sales representative in California is around $60,330 per year.
Is pharmaceutical sales a hard job?
It’s a reality for pharmaceutical company representatives. But the work isn’t pure glamour. It’s also intense, highly competitive and sometimes frustrating. Insiders say it’s difficult to get your foot in the door with a drug company, and that it’s challenging to excel once you’ve landed that first sales job.
What do medical sales rep do?
A medical sales representative sells medical supplies to doctors, clinics, facilities and hospitals. The job includes contacting potential customers, explaining the features and benefits of the product, answering questions about the product and negotiating the final deal.